March 27, 2010

Ahhh, The Power of Cheese

Mark and I agreed to take yet another pregnancy test Sunday morning - "just to make sure" I was actually pregnant. We just wanted to be positive before we told our families. I think having no symptoms really makes the concept hard to grasp. So, after another positive result we decided it was safe to tell Mark's parents.

We were all sitting in the living room talking when Mark said "Well, we've got something to tell you guys." Linda immediately said "Kelly's pregnant." I couldn't understand how she knew already - we'd only found out 24 hrs ago! Mark looked surprised but told her she was right and then we realized she had been joking. Jerry thought we were joking too. It was funny because everyone seemed pretty confused for a few minutes. They're both very excited for their second grandchild. We were also able to call Michele and Todd that day and let them know that Nina will have a new cousin coming this fall. Michele and Todd are both very excited about their first niece or nephew! Nina was excited but also a little uneasy about the possible competition involved with a new member of the family:)

My dad was out of town so we had to wait to tell my parents until he got back at the end of the week. That was killing us so we called Abbey and Ryan in Florida. No answer. I must've called 5 times before she ended up calling me back that evening. What if it had been an emergency Abbey???? But it was great to tell them our good news - its just so hard to keep stuff like this bottled up!! While I had Abbey on the phone we brainstormed on ways to tell my parents but nothing sounded good. There were no holidays coming up so it was hard to think of something creative to do. Then it just came to me .... cheese.

On Friday, March 5th, I took one more pregnancy test. I realize now how ridiculous this sounds. Oh well, guess what - it was positive;) Anyways, that night Mark and I went over to my parents to make them dinner. We'd done this several times before so I knew they wouldn't suspect anything. Mark and I were busy in the kitchen getting everything ready while Mom and Dad sat in the living room. Once we had everything set Mark went into the living room and I got our "appetizer" ready to eat. It consisted of a cheese platter that spelled out "We're Having A Baby" surrounded with crackers on Mom's nice china platter (see pic below - minus the platter and crackers). I had spent a large chunk of the morning cutting out the words in cheddar and pepper jack cheese. This turned out to be a lot more time consuming than I originally thought!! Cutting cheese into legible words is hard to do and I literally demolished 2 whole blocks of cheese in the process.

So after arranging my letters and crackers on Mom's china I carried the platter into the living room and presented my appetizer. Mom took one quick, confused glance at it and said "that looks nice." What? She hadn't read it!! I'm sure she was wondering why I put cheese and ritz crackers on her nice china platter. Dad didn't budge from his chair. Frustrated, I made mom get up and take another look at it. She immediately gasped:) Then I showed it to dad who said he knew what it said after seeing Mom's reaction. Everyone was excited and I even got the whole thing on video since Abbey and Ryan couldn't be there:)

1 comment:

Papa George said...

That baby cheese was S-P-I C-E-Y!!
I wonder what that means?